Plano residents look forward to summertime every year––and so do mosquitoes. Nothing ruins the fun of a warm summer day quite like a swarm of these blood-sucking pests, and the more you learn about mosquitoes, the more you want to avoid them.
Texans have to deal with mosquitoes every summer, so how can we avoid these pests? Sometimes their incessant buzzing seems inevitable. Yet, there are things you can do to reduce mosquito populations around your home and it's important that you take steps to do just that. Read more to learn what makes mosquitoes so dangerous, and how to keep them away from your Plano home or business.
Mosquito Identification Guide
Mosquitoes are some of the easiest pests to identify in Plano. These flying insects have thin, striped bodies that grow to around ¼ of an inch. They have a set of translucent wings, a pair of antennae, and six legs that grow longer than their bodies––making the mosquito look larger and quite gangly. On the mosquito’s head is a long rod-shaped structure called a proboscis, which the mosquito uses to draw in your blood.
You are far more likely to see a mosquito in the air rather than on your skin since these pests move quickly and quietly. Thankfully, they are easy to recognize wherever you find them, making them somewhat easier to avoid.
The Truth About Mosquitoes In Plano, TX
If there’s one pest you should avoid at all costs, it’s mosquitoes. These insects may be the most dangerous animal in the entire world. This is due to their ability to transmit serious diseases to people of all nations––including residents of Plano.
Mosquitoes can transmit the pathogens that cause dengue fever, malaria, Zika virus, and yellow fever, among others. These diseases are serious for people of all ages, and all it takes is one infected bite to spell disaster.
While mosquito-borne infections are much more common in continents like Africa, North American mosquitoes are just as capable of transmitting these diseases, causing thousands of infections in the United States alone. As it is, no one likes mosquitoes––their itchy bites last for weeks, and swarms of these pests can ruin your night. However, Plano residents would do well to avoid mosquitoes at all costs.
Tips To Control Mosquitoes Around Your Plano Property
You can’t always avoid mosquitoes when you’re out and about, but you can keep these bloodsuckers at bay around your Plano home or business. Consider the following five tips to control mosquito populations.
- Clear standing water around your property. Mosquitoes use puddles and standing water to reproduce, so keeping your property drained will make it less attractive to mosquitoes.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters provide nesting and breeding spaces for mosquitoes.
- Trim grasses, bushes, and foliage around your property. These are prime nesting sites for mosquitoes year-round.
- Put up a mosquito net around your porch. This won’t reduce the structural attractions on your property, but it will section off a portion of your yard to be completely mosquito-free.
- Enlist professional help. Only a licensed exterminator has the tools and expertise to safely remove all mosquito threats from your property.
The pest control experts at Bug Head Pest Control are ready to protect your family from mosquitoes. Reach out to one of our pest control professionals today, and take back your summer from these pests.